NYC Health + Hospitals Ethics Network
Click here for the Health + Hospitals Ethics Corporate website (you must be at a Health + Hospitals computer).
Who We Are
- Founded in 1992 by the late Dr. John B. Corser, the Health + Hospitals Ethics Network is composed of clinicians and administrators dedicated to patients' rights and the ethical treatment of patients at New York City's public hospitals.
Components of the Health + Hospitals Ethics Network include:
- Clinical ethics consultation (CEC) services at all Health + Hospitals affiliated hospitals and chronic care facilities. For a description of issues addressed in ethics consultations, please see the ethics paragraphs.
- The Clinical Ethics Consultation Project (CECP), an innovative teaching, self-study, and quality improvement program for ethics consultants.
- Ethics committees at all Health + Hospitals affiliated hospitals that assist with ethics policy development and ethics education.
- The Health + Hospitals Bioethics Council, comprised of all Health + Hospitals ethics committee chairs. The Bioethics Council offers corporate guidance to hospital ethics committees.
- The John B. Corser Memorial Bioethics Symposium, an all-day ethics educational program presented annually by and for the Health + Hospitals community.
Algorithms for resolution of difficult ethics issues
New York State Brain Death Guidelines and Health + Hospitals Corporate Brain Death Policy
- The latest revision to the NY State brain death guidelines can be found here. A single, comprehensive brain death exam and apnea test has replaced the "2 exams, 6 hours apart" routine we used to follow.
- To comply with the NY State guidelines, Health + Hospitals has issued a corporate brain death policy that has been implemented at all Health + Hospitals facilities.
For further information
- Contact: James.Zisfein@nychhc.org